VEGAN DONUT HOLES
recipe by So Delicious Kitchen
1⁄4 c. egg replacer (substitute 1 egg for non-vegan version)
1 c. So Delicious Unsweetened Vanilla Yogurt alternative
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
3⁄4 c. powdered sugar, plus more for decorating
1 1⁄2 c. all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. baking powder
- In a bowl, beat the egg substitute with yogurt alternative, lemon juice and grated lemon peel. Add powdered sugar and salt, sift the flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture gently. Combine to a smooth dough that feels fluffy. Leave the dough aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large quantity of frying oil in a large frying pan, ensuring that there is enough depth for the donut holes to float in the oil freely. To test the heat of the oil, drop a small piece of dough in the heated oil and check that the dough floats and bubbles, and doesn't sink to the bottom.
- Using a spoon, form the donut holes to your desired, uniform size and place gently into the oil. If needed, turn the donut holes gently in the oil to ensure an even fry. When the donut holes are a uniform golden brown, carefully remove them to a sheet of paper towel to drain and cool.
- Repeat this process until all the dough is cooked.
- While still warm, sprinkle the donut holes with additional powdered sugar, serve, and enjoy!