6 INGREDIENT VEGAN AND GLUTEN-FREE PIE CRUST
recipe by So Delicious Kitchen
8 c. rice flour, plus more for sprinkling
1⁄8 tsp. baking powder
4 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
2 c. vegan butter, cubed and chilled
2 1⁄2 c. ice cold water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Cut in the vegan butter using a fork or pastry cutter until large crumbs form.
- Once crumbs have formed, use hands to massage the fat into the flour. Use your fingers to flatten out each crumb until all the flour looks hydrated.
- Slowly add ice water to the dough mixture, 1/4 C. at a time, until a tight dry dough is formed.
- Turn 1⁄4 of the dough onto a clean, floured surface or baking mat. Using your hands, slowly press the dough to flatten.
- Flour your rolling pin and gently roll the crust until about 1″ thick. At this point the crust is super dry and will likely crumble all over the place—that’s okay!
- Add a bit more flour to the top of the dough and fold it up like an envelope.
- Press the edges tight with your hands, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until chilled.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Once the dough has chilled, sprinkle some additional flour on a pie mat or piece of parchment paper—you’ll need this for leverage! Adding additional flour as needed, roll the chilled doughs into a 12-14 in. circle about 1⁄4 in. thick. If it any time the dough seems too dry and begins to crack, drop a few additional sprinkles of ice water on the top and press it in with your fingertips.
- When your first dough is ready, use the parchment paper to help you transfer it to a well-greased pie pan. Invert the pan over the dough and slide one hand underneath the parchment paper until it’s directly underneath the pan.
- In one quick motion slowly flip the parchment paper and the pan.
- Repair any cracks or tears with your fingers then press the dough firmly into the bottom and side wall of the pan. Decorate the edges as you like!