VEGAN MAC & CHEESE BITES
recipe by So Delicious Kitchen
1 tbsp. vegan butter or oil
1⁄2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1⁄2 c. + 1 tbsp. gluten-free flour, divided
11⁄3 c. So Delicious Reduced Fat Wondermilk Beverage
2 c. So Delicious Mexican Style or Cheddar Style Shreds
1 container (8 oz.) So Delicious Creamy Original Cream Cheese Style Spread
1⁄2 tsp. garlic powder
1⁄4 tsp. cayenne
1⁄2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1 lb. cooked gluten-free macaroni noodles
1 c. gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
1⁄4 c. chopped parsley or chives, optional
- In a saucepan, combine vegan butter (or oil) and chopped yellow onion until thoroughly heated and onions are translucent. Add 1 tbsp. flour on low heat, stirring for 3 minutes until fully combined.
- Add Wondermilk beverage and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in Mexican Style or Cheddar Style Shreds and cream cheese style spread until fully melted. Then add garlic powder, cayenne, and salt.
- Mix cheese sauce into cooked macaroni noodles and refrigerate until cooled.
- Scoop cooled macaroni into mounds (about 3 tbsp. each) onto a sheet pan and freeze until firm and partially frozen, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining flour with about 1⁄4 - 1⁄3 cup water to make a slurry. Mixture should resemble thin pancake batter. Separately, place panko into a medium bowl.
- Once noodle mounds are partially frozen, roll into balls. Dip noodle balls into flour slurry, then roll in panko to thoroughly coat. Place balls back onto baking sheet.
- Fry macaroni bites in 350°F oil until golden brown. If desired, garnish with chopped herbs and serve warm.