VEGAN DEVILS ON HORSEBACK
recipe by So Delicious Kitchen
Vegan Cream Cheese
1 1⁄2 c. cups raw cashews, soaked
1⁄4 c. So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Plain Coconutmilk Yogurt Alternative
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1⁄2 tsp. salt
Devils on Horseback
1 large beetroot
2 large carrots
1⁄4 c. tamari
1 tsp. smoked paprika
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
24 large pitted dates
24 smoked almonds
- Soak the cashews either overnight in cool water in the refrigerator, or for at least 30 minutes in hot water.
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews, and add them to a food processor. Add the So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Plain Coconutmilk Yogurt Alternative, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and salt. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides as needed.
- Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 450°F. Very thinly slice beetroot and carrots with a vegetable peeler to create wide, long ribbons.
- Whisk tamari, paprika, and oil in a medium bowl. Add vegetable ribbons, toss to combine, and let sit 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place 1 almond into the center of each date, then stuff heaping 1/2-teaspoonfuls of vegan cream cheese into each date.
- Wrap a vegetable ribbon around each date, using 2 ribbons if necessary to cover middle section of date; reserve tamari marinade mixture. Arrange dates on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 5 minutes, then brush with tamari marinade. Continue to bake until vegetable ribbons are browned and slightly crisped, about 3 minutes more. Serve immediately.