Hallo-wean Off Dairy
Hallo-wean Off Dairy
Chocolate and caramel is everywhere this time of year. While these are a sweet treat for some on Halloween, many of us with dairy allergies or sensitivities see these candies as a trick. Luckily, there are some great resources out there for people seeking a dairy-free holiday season.
For a satisfyingly long list of vegan candies that are popular in stores and online, head on over the VegNews Guide to Vegan Halloween Candy. Our favorite treats include taffy, fruit snacks, and dark chocolate.
For a mix of do-it-yourself and classic dairy-free candies, Buzzfeed has you covered with their 18 Delightful Halloween Treats Vegans Can Enjoy Too. It features blogger friends of ours, such as Oh She Glows and Fork and Beans.
Speaking of, both Oh She Glows and Fork and Beans have amazing Halloween party recipe ideas, featuring homemade, dairy-free versions of your favorite candies, and fun savory snacks that become part of the décor. We will be posting about our own dairy-free Halloween party tomorrow, so stay tuned for more tips and recipes!
Are you not quite dairy-free yet? You can take this week as a challenge to wean off dairy for good. Here are some of our tips for taking your dairy-free journey.
- Write down all of the reasons why being dairy-free is better for you. Whether it is for health, allergies, animal rights, or the environment, we know being dairy-free can help you live your convictions.
- Start with the easy stuff. Cut out whatever dairy items are easier to give up first. Milk, cheese, yogurt, milk chocolate, start small and work your way up.
- Recruit a friend. Emotional support always helps when making lifestyle changes.
- Stock up on delicious dairy-free snacks. If there are a lot of foods that make you feel great around your home and office, it is easier to curb the cravings for convenient foods.
- Try mixing alternatives into your existing dairy products so that you consume less of them and get used to the new tastes.
What are your tips for a dairy-free Halloween? Let us know in the comments!