Dairy Free & Loving It
So Delicious Dairy Free is all about providing solutions for those living a dairy-free life for ethical, health, taste, or religious reasons. From the time you get up and make your morning coffee to when you enjoy a sweet treat at the end of the night, we’ve got your entire day covered by offering dairy-free options that make your breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and smoothies SO Delicious, you'll never miss dairy!
Smokey Black Bean Bisque
So Delicious Dairy Free,
Directions for Preparation
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serving Size: 4-8 oz servings
1. Toast the de-seeded chiles in a dry skillet for 1 minute on each side taking care not to burn them. Use medium heat and smell for aromas to be released from chiles. Chop chiles or cut with scissors and soak in 1/4 cup warm water. Set aside.
2. In a pot, heat oil and saute the onions until translucent. Add carrots, garlic, oregano, cilantro, cumin, and salt. Cook for another few minutes.
3. Add beans, coconut milk, and water. Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
4. Add chopped chipotles and lime juice. Blend in batches in a blender or you can use an immersion blender or food processor. Season with more lime juice or salt, if needed.
5. Garnish with diced avocado, limes, and tortilla strips.
Chipotle peppers in dried form can be found in natural food stores. In lieu of dried, a few chipotle peppers out of a can is a great substitute. Chipotle powder works just as well, but has more heat so take care not to add too much.
This robust soup is a great appetizer or starter for any menu. It's creamy and smokey, thanks to the toasted chipotle chile pepper, which imparts a complex flavor profile. Culinary coconut milk enriches it by not hiding behind the black beans, but sharing the spotlight.