Finding ways to make a delectable cake without eggs, dairy, or gluten can be tough. So Delicious Dairy Free offers dairy-free products, and understands that many dairy-free households have to avoid other common baking ingredients. For our Save Summer campaign, our theme this week is “Build It”, we thought it would be fun to share our tips for building the perfect dairy-free cake, like this one from Sarah Bakes Gluten Free Treats! Below that is a dairy-free baking guide that includes substitutions for dairy based ingredients.
Here is a dairy-free baking substitution guide from our experts at So Delicious Dairy Free:
- Whole Milk- Original Beverage (Coconut, Cashew, Almond, Soy)
- Low Fat Milk- Use unsweetened versions of beverages
- Heavy Cream- Culinary Coconut Milk or Original Creamer
- Sour Cream- Plain Greek Style Cultured Almond or Coconut Milk
- Evaporated Milk- Simmer beverage or culinary milk until reduced by about half.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk- Add ¾ cup sugar to 1 cup of heated evaporated coconut milk, stir and cool.
- Buttermilk- ¾ cup plain cultured almond or coconut milk, ¼ cup unsweetened Original Beverage, 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice. Can be made thinner with more Original Beverage if desired.
- Butter- Cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil. Can in some cases also use nut butter or olive oil.
For egg-free baking, the following replacements can work for eggs:
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ½ banana, mashed
- 1 Tbsp flax seed soaked one minute with 3 Tbsp warm water
- 1 Tbsp ground chia seeds soaked in 3 Tbsp warm water
For gluten-free baking, there is a variety of alternative flours that you can use. We recommend using a blend of gluten-free options to balance taste, structure and texture. Sarah uses her own gluten free flour custom blend that works out well for most treats.
What are your tips for dairy-free baking? Share with us in the comment section!